MRCC Property History

Property Timeline

1856

1856

James E. Yeatman, a prominent St Louis businessman, acquired 640 acres around Glencoe from A.S. Mitchell, who had purchased the property from the original land grant issued to the family of Ninian Hamilton. The property included the 120 acres now known as Marycliff as well as the property now occupied by the LaSalle Institute. Mr. Yeatman had been involved in extending railroad service from St Louis to Glencoe in 1853 which was instrumental in opening the area to development.

1891

1891

Angela Yeatman Carr, along with her husband Alfred Carr (a prominent St. Louis real estate executive), received approximately 120 acres of riverfront property as a gift from her father – noted banker and philanthropist, James Yeatman. Alfred and Angela Yeatman Carr’s son, Peyton C. Carr, purchased the property from his parents in 1896.

1905

1905

Peyton Carr built a beautiful summer residence known as Woodcliff. Today that residence is known as Marycliff. The property remained in the Carr family for 52 years.

1943

1943

Peyton Carr’s widow, Josephine Kehlor Carr, sold the house and property to the Brewers and Maltsters Benevolent Association. The property functioned as a clubhouse for seven years.

1949

1949

The Society of Mary (Marianists) purchased the property and constructed an addition to Woodcliff to serve as a novitiate. At that time, the name of the property was changed to its present name, Marycliff. Marycliff housed Priests and brothers for 65 years, including the Second Novitiate (1951-1966), the Provincialate (1966-1974), and the  St. Louis Province Novitiate (1973-1977). Since 1978, Marycliff has been used as an extension of the Marianist Retreat Center, providing additional sleeping rooms for overflow and for other smaller

1967

1967

The Marianist Retreat Center was founded and dedicated for the primary purpose of providing retreat experiences for high school youth.

The rest is history!

Take a look at MRCC’s evolution in more detail on our PDF.

Long-Standing Relationships

Some high schools and other retreatants have been coming to MRCC since its founding.